Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Growth Hormones and Preschool

I’m going to pre-apologize for the inevitable scatterbrained-ness this post will be. I’m confused and a little frustrated and the thoughts in my head refuse to sort themselves out into a solution. Rude.

Let’s just start with a cute picture. She insists there be a braid in her hair at all times. She likes to feel it.

DSC_1023-2

So a few weeks ago, we went in to get the results of Maggie’s blood tests from the endocrinologist.  She’s a very nice doctor, told me that most everything was normal, except of course those things that were not. Sigh. So we have low levels of one type of growth hormone, which is apparently the one related to nutrition. So, great. Maggie’s picky eating is definitely exacerbating her general smallness.  And low Cortisol. We’re told that stress testing is the next step. Yay! Because the first time you stole my child’s blood wasn’t fun enough, let’s draw it out for 3 hours.

A few days later the doctor called back, and says that instead of putting Maggie through the 3 hour test (this still leaves the one hour cortisol stress test) we should just start her on growth hormone therapy. Really?? Instead of doing more testing to see if this is really what we should be doing, we’ll just do it? I told her I’d call her back. Talked to Brandon, he’s not a huge fan of it. Of course I’m not relishing the idea of stabbing Maggie with a needle every day ‘til she’s a teenager, but if she’s not growing…. So I talked to my dad (Internal Medicine doctor) and he recommends at least another MRI if not the test. Then we can compare it to the first MRI, see if there’s been any change in the pituitary. Sounds good to me! Though putting her under anesthesia was one of the hardest things ever! So I will be calling the doc tomorrow and setting that up.

We went to school on Friday. Maggie loves school. Or at least loves to talk about it.

me -“What do we do on Friday?”

Maggie-“We go to school! And cuddle Laura! And hear the ABC song! And walk in gravel!”

Once we get there….eh. It’s apparently not as thrilling as she makes it out to be when she talks about it. She’s really stubborn. She will only do the things she wants to do. She’ll try something new for about two seconds, usually screaming the whole time. And unless she immediately likes it, she screams until I stop making her try it. Laura brought out a bunch of magnets. COOL! I am just mesmerized by magnets. Maggie thought the “U” shaped one was neat for about 15 seconds. Longer than if she totally hated it, so that’s good. But then came the screaming because she wanted to listen to more music.

Meanwhile Ella (the other girl in her class-who is about a month younger) was just fascinated by the magnets. Sigh. Why can’t my child have that look of wonder and awe on her face? Why won’t she try new things? How is one teacher going to handle Maggie and a bunch of other kids? How is Maggie every going to be happy in school? And…..I started crying.

I’m such a baby.  Luckily Laura is tactful, understanding, and very helpful.  She’s going to set up a meeting with Maureen, Maggie’s possible preschool teacher for next year.  I know that talking with her will really help.  I’ll either begin to have faith in her, or not, and which ever way, at least I’ll better understand the situation I’ll be putting Maggie into come September.

Talking to a few other people since my break down in front of people (seriously, how embarrassing!?) I’ve realized that I’m putting Maggie in the “special” category, when she doesn't need to be.  Nope, she doesn’t want to share. Yes, she throws tantrums. Yes, she’s a picky eater (Come to find out all these 2 year olds I know that eat more than I do are not the regular. Sigh of relief). She the same as most other 2 year olds. She doesn’t want to do what Mom says. Neither does any other kid….ever.

I know she’ll be fine, We’ll just have to get used to the changes coming our way, and that the other kids are probably going to touch her.

I hope they’re nice.

3 comments:

  1. That didn't seem so scatter-brained to me....unless maybe it is because my brain is pretty scattered too. Even though your situation isn't typical, you are dealing with it the way most moms would (at least in my opinion). You love your child and want what is best for her. You want her to learn and grow and progress, and you will do whatever it takes to help her. you are an awesome mom and she is so blessed to have you (not to mention your level of patience. I wish I had half your patience with my own children).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was on growth hormone from the time I was 3 until I was 18. I was in a test program from UC Berkley. Hang in there you are a great mom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all Sare took the words right of my mouth. I couldn't agree more! Second, if you want my opinion which you definitely don't have to take, I think you should do some kind of testing because my cousins little girl is super small (like not even close to being on the charts small) and everything has come back normal. So maybe she's just a small girl, nothing wrong with that. You should also look up diets that effect growth hormones, I think they're worth a try. Love you guys and with you the best!... oh and I'll get that stuff in the mail this week I swear!

    ReplyDelete