Sunday, September 28, 2014

Helping hands

One of those things every parent worries about is the independence of their children. Will she ever learn how to get up at night to go to the bathroom? When will I get to stop badgering him to put his dishes in the sink? Please let her just get dressed by herself today. Why can't he stop biting people?!? I don't think his college roommates are going to like that attribute. And please PLEASE make her stop screaming when I put her milk into the wrong cup. This too shall pass. In the moment it doesn't seem like it will ever pass.

There is a special heap of worries that come with a special needs child, with blindness offering it's own difficulties. When will she learn to put her hands up so she stops hitting her head on everything? When will she be able to find the bathroom by herself so I don't have to be with her every step of the way? When will she learn how to use a spoon without spilling food ALL over? Why can't she seem to remember where the toy chest is? It's been in the same spot for months.

Today I got a glimpse into that future of not having to worry. I ran up the stairs for a quick two minutes in the bathroom by myself, to discover that the toilet paper was out. Why do we keep the extra in the hall closet? I don't know, it seems a little more than inconvenient now that I think about it. I was able to ask Maggie to get the a roll of toilet paper.

She did it!!! Out of her room, across the hall, opened the door, found the package of paper, got a roll, then brought it to me in the bathroom. Monumental achievement here. What incredible independence she displayed and an ability to accomplish multilevel tasks. I am thrilled!

Sadly, this feeling of accomplishment also comes with frustration and a sense of injustice. This is something I could have asked my son to do. If the closet door was open he could have done it too. He's not even 2 years old and can only say like 15 words.

Why? Why are such simple things made so difficult for my daughter? Why does she have to work so hard for things that are so easy for a toddler? Maggie is such a smart, capable girl when given the opportunity and taught how to do things.

I know God has a plan for her. I know that Maggie has a lasting effect on everyone she meets. I know that she will move mountains when her time comes. She has such conviction and strength when things matter to her. We work, really really work, to make sure that Maggie knows and understands how to be a kind, humble, helpful person, and I know it will pay off. It's just hard to remember that. Because it is hard work. Hard, frustrating, seemingly unrewarding work.

Then one day you don't have to run down the hall with pants around your ankles to get your own toilet paper, because she's learned how to help you.




1 comment:

  1. Beautiful. You are the best parents Maggie could have ever asked for. And you're right, she does have a lasting effect on everyone she meets. She's special. I think God gives more challenges to the choicest of spirits.

    ReplyDelete